Match report Adelaide 3s 18 February 2017


Adelaide 3s 1-6 St Albans 9s; 18 February 2017

We started with just ten on the pitch and lost an early goal but we were soon up to strength. Our opponents had some very strong and fast players so kept our defense under pressure but we were able to counter strongly on occasion.

Barry at centre half played his pivotal role well, both tackling and moving the ball forward . Behind him Andy Clemson played brilliantly at centre back where his defensive hits were essential to get the ball upfield and relieve the pressure. Andy Sterlini played his usual superb game in goal, but some opposition attacks were so good that even his heroics could not prevent us being four down at the break.

After half time we changed the balance of the game. The defense tightened up, both Berl and John Bennett did a superp job neutralising fast wingers and feeding the ball forward to the midfield. George moved to his more familiar left wing where he tested the defense and tackled back relentlessly. But it was Roger who started to create the best openings from left half, two excellent diagonal through balls showed there were gaps in the defense. Then Mike made a run from our own half, burst through two defenders into space finally shooting just wide of the left post from the edge of the circle.

Jan Willem moved to right half where he played very constructively and crowned a good performance with a powerful and penetrating diagonal cross that could so easily have been deflected into the net. John Dunne worked tirelessly until he really did, inevitably, get tired, but he never ran out of energy.

We created several promising attacks but could not quite find the net. We conceded two more but we redressed the balance a bit at the end after a move that started from Andy at the back. He pilfered the ball from the home attacker with a great tackle and slipped it on to Roger who battered his way through the midfield into space, somehow dredging up the energy to move forward with the ball and slip it through to Jan-Willem on the right wing who crossed it for Rashmi to scoop the ball over the prone keeper in the dying seconds.