History

The name originates from “The Loyal Adelaide Lodge” of the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows which began meeting in the Cherry Tree Inn in 1842. “Adelaide” was used after the villagers’ name in cricket matches between the village club and the private club of the Walker Family (now known as Southgate Cricket Club). Southgate Adelaide Cricket Club was formed in 1870 and shared the Walker Ground with Southgate Cricket Club. The Walker family donated the ground as a sporting trust in 1907. Palmers Green Hockey Club (formed in 1924 but having no ground of their own) joined with Southgate Adelaide Cricket Club the 1920’s to become Southgate Adelaide Hockey Club.

The club has played continuously at the Walker Ground since that time using at first two grass pitches and having a single storey wooden Pavilion. Showering conditions were hostile and certain other essential provisions primitive. In the 70’s the club grew from 3 to 4 teams playing friendly fixtures only joining the League system in the 80’s and 90’s. In 2004 the club transferred from the Berks & Bucks League to the more flexible structure of the East League